Hans holds a PhD in Sciences and an MSc in biology. He also was educated in business economics at the University of Antwerp Management School.
Hans’ focus with Arcadis is on biodiversity and ecosystem services, climate adaptation and nature-based solutions, and sustainability more broadly. Both for public and private clients Hans has been working on projects focusing on:
- Nature impact analyses for public and private clients (EIA, ESIA, AA, BREAAM, for buildings, roads, bridges, industry).
- Environmental policy research for national and international (mainly European Commission) clients
- Sustainability and biodiversity business advisory for corporate clients.
- Biodiversity in the built and natural world.
In previous jobs:
- Hans was head of the biodiversity unit at the Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP) in 2019, a sustainability think tank, based in Brussels. Hans led a team on EU biodiversity and related policy issues.
- From 2009-2014 Hans worked with the Flemish (Belgium) nature administration on the topics of nature and species protection, invasive alien species and wildlife management and acquired strong skills in communication and stake-holder management.
- Before he had a scientific career, 7 years of which as postdoctoral research at the University of Antwerp, in the field of evolutionary ecology and toxicology. Next to his research he taught at university and university college on ecology, entomology, and natural history. Further, he guided 1 postdoctoral researcher, 2 PhD and over 20 MSc students and communicated about science to the larger public.